Stolen or Lost Passport Replacement

How to Replace Your Lost or Stolen Passport

One of the most exciting aspects of life, for some, is the expectation of travel. Nothing seems to stimulate the senses as much as that of traveling to a variety of destinations and being able to see and experience what those destinations have to offer. However one of the requirements for being able to experience such potential excitement is that of a passport. Obtaining a passport if a fairly simple process that many are familiar with, however, there are times when a person’s passport may become lost and they simply aren’t sure how to go about replacing it. Keeping that in mind let’s take a look at what you should do should your passport become lost.

While losing your passport is never convenient, if you’re going to lose it the best time would be when you have no immediate travel plans. The first place to start if your passport is lost is to report it lost or stolen; this is very important because once this is done your passport is immediately canceled so that it can’t be used by an imposter. Once you’ve reported the passport as lost or stolen it will immediately be cancelled and you can begin the replacement process. You simply need to get an application for a U.S passport, which is Form DS-11 and the Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, Form DS-64 and submit them to your local Passport Agency or acceptance facility. Keep in mind that, is found, your old passport will no longer be valid once reported lost or stolen. Make certain that, once you’ve checked your passport’s status, if it doesn’t arrive within 10 business days you need to contact the National Passport Information Center to let them know you haven’t received it.

There really isn’t a good time to lose your passport; however, the worst possible time to lose your passport would be while you’re traveling. While this is problematic and a slightly more detailed process when abroad you can easily replace your passport. The first place to begin is to report the passport as lost or as possibly stolen to the proper authorities, especially since you will need the official report. Once you have done so your next stop is the U.S Embassy or Consulate to apply for a new passport. Depending on whether or not your identification was taken as well, you may have to undergo a detailed interview process to help verify that you are who you say you are. Once everything has been verified your passport will be issued as quickly as possible to help you keep up with your itinerary.

Although the Form DS-64 needed to deal with the passport process may seem intimidating at first, the truth is that you need only take them a step at a time and answer the questions as completely and thoroughly as possible. It’s important to keep in mind that should you need your new passport quickly, within 2 to 4 weeks of time that you will need to make an appointment to be seen at the Regional Passport Agency for faster service. Otherwise, you can simply fill out the form, as well as Form DS-11, and submit them to either an Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency to receive your new passport. However, if it is simply a case of reporting your passport as lost or stolen then you need only fill out and submit For DS-11. However, be certain that when you decide to travel that apply for your new passport with enough time to allow processing.


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.