Renewing My Passport

Renewing your passport is a relatively straightforward process that is much easier than applying for your first passport. For obvious reasons, you aren’t going to be able to use the same passport for your entire life, this would pose a huge security threat to anybody traveling abroad, and the fact of the matter is that renewing it is a simple process that should stir up any sort of reservations for the people that have to do it. This is especially true if you are turning 18, where it is expected of you to renew your passport, just like your driver’s license. This is because people under 18 have their own special type of passport, and when you turn 18 you are no longer eligible to use it, so it is then time to graduate to the full normal passport everyone else uses.

It is possible, and easiest to renew by mail if your current passport is not damaged and can be sent with your application, was issued when you were 16 years or older, issued in the last 15 years and in your current legal name (provide documents if you changed your name).If you cannot provide the above documents, then you must get your passport renewed in person.

The correct form to fill out would be form DS-82. Form DS-82 is the renewal form and it can be sent by mail as long as you are currently in the United States. Please note that there will be delays in processing if any of the following have occurred: Your most recent passport has been mutilated in any way, altered, or damaged, the envelope that you used was not of adequate size to hold all documents required, if you are behind on child support payments, and the use of a non-standard form of traceable delivery.

If you have to apply in person, then you must fill out for DS-11. Ensure that you provide your social security number with this form. If you do not include it, there will be a possibility that your request will be delayed and even denied altogether. Once the DS-11 form has been filled out, you will have to provide evidence that you are a citizen of the United States before the renewed passport or card will be sent out. This will include previously used passports, a birth certificate, a birth certificate from another country, naturalization certificate or a certificate of citizenship. The fee itself is $95 for the passport book and passport card. If you just want the passport or the card it will be $80 or $15 respectively.

Payments accepted are Credit Cards, checks, Money orders/Cashier’s checks, bank drafts and debit cards. Some facilities accept cash payments, but ensure that you have a backup just in case. No cash payment through the mail. Remember to take into consideration that if you are paying by mail, it could be a while until they get your payment- but once they do they are generally pretty quick about it.

The normal processing times for standard delivery are roughly 5-7 days long and it can be tracked online also at the website. They are sent out via 1st class mail, and unfortunately cannot be sent out with overnight delivery so prepare just in case you need the passport urgently. If you do need it urgently, there are other options. As long as you are eligible, you can schedule an appointment at a one of the 24 regional passport agencies within the United States. Of course, if any of the aforementioned delays are present, the time it will take will increase.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.