Stolen or Lost Passport Replacement

How to Replace Your Lost or Stolen Passport

One of the most exciting aspects of life, for some, is the expectation of travel. Nothing seems to stimulate the senses as much as that of traveling to a variety of destinations and being able to see and experience what those destinations have to offer. However one of the requirements for being able to experience such potential excitement is that of a passport. Obtaining a passport if a fairly simple process that many are familiar with, however, there are times when a person’s passport may become lost and they simply aren’t sure how to go about replacing it. Keeping that in mind let’s take a look at what you should do should your passport become lost.

While losing your passport is never convenient, if you’re going to lose it the best time would be when you have no immediate travel plans. The first place to start if your passport is lost is to report it lost or stolen; this is very important because once this is done your passport is immediately canceled so that it can’t be used by an imposter. Once you’ve reported the passport as lost or stolen it will immediately be cancelled and you can begin the replacement process. You simply need to get an application for a U.S passport, which is Form DS-11 and the Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, Form DS-64 and submit them to your local Passport Agency or acceptance facility. Keep in mind that, is found, your old passport will no longer be valid once reported lost or stolen. Make certain that, once you’ve checked your passport’s status, if it doesn’t arrive within 10 business days you need to contact the National Passport Information Center to let them know you haven’t received it.

There really isn’t a good time to lose your passport; however, the worst possible time to lose your passport would be while you’re traveling. While this is problematic and a slightly more detailed process when abroad you can easily replace your passport. The first place to begin is to report the passport as lost or as possibly stolen to the proper authorities, especially since you will need the official report. Once you have done so your next stop is the U.S Embassy or Consulate to apply for a new passport. Depending on whether or not your identification was taken as well, you may have to undergo a detailed interview process to help verify that you are who you say you are. Once everything has been verified your passport will be issued as quickly as possible to help you keep up with your itinerary.

Although the Form DS-64 needed to deal with the passport process may seem intimidating at first, the truth is that you need only take them a step at a time and answer the questions as completely and thoroughly as possible. It’s important to keep in mind that should you need your new passport quickly, within 2 to 4 weeks of time that you will need to make an appointment to be seen at the Regional Passport Agency for faster service. Otherwise, you can simply fill out the form, as well as Form DS-11, and submit them to either an Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency to receive your new passport. However, if it is simply a case of reporting your passport as lost or stolen then you need only fill out and submit For DS-11. However, be certain that when you decide to travel that apply for your new passport with enough time to allow processing.


Expedited Passport Information

Expediting the Passport Application Process

To travel outside of the United States, a citizen will need a passport. They may get these from the US Department of State, via the various agencies they have all over the country. When applying directly to the Department of State, a passport application may take a month or longer from the point that the application is turned in to the point at which the passport is delivered to the holder. There are instances where people may wish to travel immediately. These can range from family emergencies in other countries to discovering that a passport is missing only a short time before a trip outside of the country. In such instances, they may not be able to wait a month to receive their passport. The best option is to expedite the passport application. An expedited passport application may allow the traveler to receive their passport in as short a time as 24 hours.

Expedited Passport Applications
Passport applications are not just for people who have never held one before. In some cases they may have owned a passport more than five years previous and allowed it to expire. The person whose previous passport is more than five years past the expiration date is in the same situation, legally speaking, as the person who has never had one before. Other reasons a person may find themselves needing a new passport include the fact that their present one has expired and they need a renewal. The application for a passport renewal is different from that for a new passport and will necessitate turning in the old one. Other reasons for applying for a passport include the fact that the present one has been lost or stolen. In the case of a lost, stolen or damaged passport the passport holder will have to supply a statement regarding the passport along with the other elements of their application. In all of these instances, the applicant may opt for an expedited passport application in order to speed up the process and to be able to travel.

Places to Get Expedited Passports
Travelers who wish to expedite their passport application may opt to apply for an expedited passport at any one of the State Department’s agencies, or they may instead choose any of the many passport expediter services available. There are passport expediters in major cities across the country and many expediters offer their services via the Internet for even greater speed in getting an application processed. Internet passport expediters can process an application in as little as 24 hours. In either case, the applicant will need a few vital pieces of documentation. They will need to be able to prove their identity and citizenship.

Applying for an Expedited Passport from the State Department
The applicant will need to download and print a DS-11 passport application form from the State Department’s website. They will need to fill it out correctly with a blue or black ink pen. They will also need to have two recent passport-sized photographs to accompany their application. They will need copies of their birth certificate or certificate of citizenship in order to prove that they are United States citizens. In the cases of passport renewals, the old passport will suffice as proof of citizenship.

Drawbacks to applying via State Department Agencies include the fact that wait times at these agencies can be long and made even longer if paperwork is not filled out correctly.

Using the Services of a Passport Expediter
A passport expediter will still need the above documentation, but many services provide a skilled and experienced agent to help applicants with the process. These agents will ensure that the applications are filled out correctly. Furthermore, the applicant may be able to fill out much of the information in online forms, and handle the application process online.

Passport Fees

You want to travel abroad. Maybe your company is sending you to close out a deal overseas; maybe you want to do some sightseeing on a personal vacation; or perhaps you want to take the family on a little adventure to Canada to see the unspoiled wildlife, or drive down to Mexico to escape the winter cold.

Whatever your reasons for traveling internationally, you’ve probably started doing a little research on obtaining you U.S. Passport. You’ve looked at what requirements you need to meet, what information you need, and where in your area you can go to apply for a passport. You know what you need to do to go in, fill out your U.S. Passport application, and present the necessary paperwork so you can get out without so much as a mild headache.

What many people don’t know is how much it actually costs to get a U.S. Passport.

When it comes to a standard U.S. Passport (the DS-11 version), the price will depend on which “package” you are getting. If you do not currently have a passport, or are aplying for the very first time, you have a few options.

 Adults Getting A Passport For The First Time

The typical U.S. Passport Book – the one you usually see people presenting at airports to get stamped – are $110 with a first-time processing fee of $25. There is also the option of getting a U.S. Passport Card, which is $30 with a $25 processing fee. The most popular option (in order to have identification backup in case you lose one or the other) is to get both the U.S. Passport Book, as well as the card. This will cost $140 with a one-time processing fee of $25. Most people will tell you that the last option just makes more sense, because you will have two forms of identification while traveling.

 Renewing A Passport

 If you are renewing your U.S. Passport, you won’t have to present as much paperwork (usually, mailing in your old passport with the renewal request will suffice), and you won’t have to pay as much as first-time applicants. To renew your U.S. Passport Book, it costs $110. For the Card, $30. For both the U.S. Passport Book and Card, it will cost $140. The processing fee that applies to first-time applicants is waived in this case.

Children/People Under 16 Years Of Age

 Not everyone who travels is an adult. Students taking trips abroad, and children going on family vacations or visition people internationally also need passports.

For a person 16 years old and younger, the fees for getting a U.S. Passport are slightly less than listed above, but they come with the same options. For someone in this age group, a U.S. Passport Book will cost $80 plus a one-time processing fee of $25. For the card by itself, the cost is $15 plus the $25 fee for processing. As with the listing for adults, there is an option (again, this is the one that’s recommended) for both the U.S. Passport Book and the Card. This will run for $95 plus the $25 processing fee. These charges and fees also apply to minors who are renewing their U.S. Passports.

 Optional Passport Services

 In addition to getting a U.S. Passport, there are other services you can get, and which have very nominal fees attached to them.

Overnight Delivery – This makes certain that once your application has been processed and your U.S. Passport is ready to be shipped, it will be overnighted to your address. The cost for this service is $12.72.

Expedited Service  - A typical U.S. Passport application takes roughly 6-8 weeks to process, once the application leaves your hands. Getting expedited or “rushed” serivce will cut down this waiting time to 2-3 weeks, and is well worth the $60 fee to get your travel plans arranged.

File Search – This is a rarely used service, but if you need to verify a previous U.S. Passport or consular birth in another country, a written request will get you the information you seek. This service costs $150 per request, and will be waived in the case of your U.S. Passport getting lost or stolen.

Adding Pages – If you are a globe-hopping, jetsetting traveler, you might find the pages of your U.S. Passport filling up with stamps from various countries. If you anticipate this happening to you, you can have additional pages included in your passport for $82.

Name Changes/Informational Errors

 You may find that throughout your globetrotting days that your name may legally change due to divorce or marriage, or perhaps getting a degree that adds some extra letters onto your name. Also, it should be noted that even the U.S. Bureau of Cunsular Affairs is not infallible. Sometimes clerical errors do occur when printing one’s name, address, or date of birth on a passport. If any of the situations in this section should occur, you can have your U.S. Passport information updated, free of charge.

Now that you are armed with the knowledge of what it costs to get a U.S. Passport, you should have no problem planning for your next big trip abroad!

Replacing a Lost Passport

Your United States Passport is a very important document and should be safeguarded as well as one can do both when in use, and not in use. A lost passport is not quite as simple as requesting a new one. There are a couple steps that you must take to ensure that the lost passport is accounted for correctly, the same way that you would report a lost credit card.

If you ever find that your passport has been lost or stolen, the first thing you must do is report it. If you are within the United States, call toll free 1877-487-2778 and let the representative know whether it has been lost or stolen. If you are overseas, you must visit your local US Embassy or Consulate and report it immediately. Do not wait for reporting a lost card as it can be a serious security risk for the United States.

If you do not want to call or visit a local office, it is permissible to fill out form DS-64, which is what you fill out in case of a lost passport or one that has been stolen. This form DS-64 must be filled out and mailed immediately and then sent to the US Department of State Passport Services; a bizarre name for a service, but something that is incredibly important. The same goes if you happen to stumble upon someone else’s passport – report it immediately and mail it to the address above in a good envelope.

When sending in form DS-64, if you wish to obtain a replacement and you are not overseas, sent in form DS-11 with the application. DS-11 is the general passport application form that must be completed with as accuracy otherwise delay times or possible declines may occur. Ensure that you provide your social security number with this form. If you do not include it, there will be a possibility that your request will be delayed and even denied altogether. Once the DS-11 form has been filled out, you will have to provide evidence that you are a citizen of the United States before the renewed passport or card will be sent out. This will include previously used passports, a birth certificate, a birth certificate from another country, naturalization certificate or a certificate of citizenship and pay the fee of $95. That fee is for the passport book and passport card. If you just want the passport or the card it will be $80 and $15.

If you are not applying for another passport, simply send form DS-64 alone. Once the form has been sent, any found passports following must be mailed in. They cannot be re-used as they will be off the usable list and invalidated. Unless it is specifically requested otherwise, the old passport will be destroyed for security issues. It is important to remember that once a passport has been reported missing, it cannot be reclaimed as your own, it is no longer usable.

Be very careful when it comes to ordering replacement or temporary passports and ensure that you are using the US Government for replacement. There are plenty of websites and companies who use fraudulent ways to assure you that your passport will be expedited if you pay a very large fee. Most of these are a scam and you should only engage with true government agencies when it comes to your passport.

If you are truly in a rush for the passport, ensure that you contact a passport and visa expeditor as they may be able to do your process quicker than the standard lines. Go to your nearest office to request this.